6.20.2006

Helped my friends move yesterday.


As victims of the PC fire, Team Marren found out they had 30 minutes to evacuate on Sunday. After B was done rehashing the story (probably for the 100th time), I offered to help with the move yesterday. I was amazed to find them already half moved into their new apartment across town by the time I got over to their new place.

Now, I don’t know if you’re like me, but moving is probably the single most exhausting/annoying thing there is in life. (OK, so maybe I’m being a little dramatic.) Anyway, it made me think of all the useless junk stored in our little house in T-town. Seriously, do we really need all the crap we accumulate throughout our lives?

I know you can’t put a price on items like those written notes folded in different shapes from junior high days, that T-shirt from the high school musical/play or that cowboy hat that came home from that family trip to Wyoming 15 years ago. But, come on. When should we just let go?

When’s a good time to clean out and move on? Do we need our material possessions to help us remember things? Or, is the memory of being somewhere or doing something enough to sustain us?

2 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

All VERY good questions you pose...

#1 - I love your moving truck clipart. Awesome.

#2 - You're right, we DO hang on to SO many momentos, just because...

#3 - I hate moving, too. Just last night we moved a bed in our house from the second floor to the basement. (long story). It was so annoying. Box springs are a pain.

wen said...

definitely food for thought! i'm struggling with downsizing lately and i'm learning how much i DON'T need.