6.16.2006

I’ve only ever had this feeling once before.

It wasn’t until I walked across the stage to receive my college degree from the President of Western Michigan University, that I realized it was officially over. It was the end of an era. My care-free days of sleeping in, staying up and going out were over. Worse yet, life as I knew it with my incredibly close circle of college friends was never going to be the same again. Playing out like the final scene of “Ocean’s Eleven,” it was time to go our separate ways.

Looking back, I don’t regret rushing to complete my college degree. I was ready. Now, as I find myself at the same familiar crossroads ending another era in my life, I feel fortunate to have experienced this feeling before. It doesn’t seem quite as scary this time.

When I moved to our new Midwestern town, I never expected to find the kind of welcoming, unwavering friendships that I found. They are the kind of friendships that comfort you. They are the friendships that make you laugh. They are the friendships that make you feel a little less alone when you are far away from home.

As I stand at the proverbial fountain once again with this wonderful family I’ve come to know, I am a little saddened. At the same time, though, I look forward to what is in store. Because, if anything, my college experience taught me that the people important enough to stand by you at your fountain in a time of change are the people that you will forever be blessed to have in your life.

Goooooooooooooooo PC!

No comments: