6.12.2006

So, in following with my “better late that never” philosophy to life (that I didn’t really know I followed until just recently…), I sat down and read “The DaVinci Code” this weekend. I must say, I’m very glad I did. I know that most avid readers (a.k.a. book snobs as my good friend calls them) look at that book as somewhat juvenile, a work of fiction with no basis in actuality. I don’t mind that. For me, if I read something other than celebrity gossip columns or magazines, I’m doing well. Anyway, I found the book to be incredibly interesting. I love learning about art history and different religious theories.

Growing up, I was always one of those people who went to church with my family, but never actually got into religion the way many people around me did. Honestly, that always made me feel as though something was wrong with me. I didn’t understand how people could be so convinced in something to never question it, never doubt it. I believed in God, but, at the same time, thought I was a bad person for not being able to grasp or believe everything that was being told to me.

While I was cemented to my couch this weekend reading Dan Brown’s fictional masterpiece, I was thoroughly entertained and somewhat enlightened. Not to say I believed anything or everything the author wrote. No, it just made me realize it is normal to question history, to question the world, to question religion. In fact, Brown’s book, if anything, made me thirsty for personal enlightenment – to learn and to understand what I believe to be true.

No comments: