9.11.2006

4th anniversary

Four years ago today, on the first anniversary of 9/11, I was on a (very empty) plane with my bro headed home from my three-day move to California. My dad lay in a hospital bed, crying. He had just been diagnosed with brain cancer and was given less than 5 years to live.

I'll never forget that day. I've never been so scared. I've never seen my family, my dad, so scared.

He went into surgery the next day shaking - with a little stuffed animal bear my mom had bought for him at the gift shop. And, with about 15 little life-saver-like foam things stuck to his head. (I'm sure there's a medical term for this.)

About four hours later, we received word that his "tumor" was actually a brain abscess - a mass of infected cells or pus. I remember not knowing exactly what that meant. It was so surreal.

Today, my dad is busy teaching, golfing and singing like nothing ever happened. We were so lucky, so fortunate.

I love you dad.


3 comments:

Wrestling Kitties said...

When you talk about your dad and everything he does you would have never known he went through this. Your family has to be so strong with all the things that you went through during that time!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Oh, K.
I got the chills and tears reading this. I can't even imagine... It's such a blessing that your Dad is healthy and ok.
Whew.

Mickey D. said...

Tear.