9.23.2007

Scholarly Speak

Why, oh why do scholars insist on using the language they use in professional journals and other publications?

Does their inherent need for superiority and discipline dominance overshadow their interest in educating and exciting the next generation? Are they trying to limit their future competition by "turning off" people to research?

I consider myself a relatively smart individual. I very much enjoy the area in which I am continuing my education. Yet, the moment I pick up my assignments I am disinterested and disheartened by the fact that every word in every sentence needs to first be defined and disected in an effort to make some sense out of what is being said.

I mean really. The terms they use are really just over-the-top synonyms for words commonly found in the English language anyway.

No comments: