9.24.2006

Rumor vs. Fact

Not sure if this email has any truth to it or not, but thought I'd pass it along to fellow pet owners out there. It certainly concerned me.

"I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze).

Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals."

I'm pretty sure a company such as Proctor & Gamble wouldn't put such a toxic product out there for the masses. Still, I must say, when it comes to my pup's health, I'd rather not take any chances.

Read more about it here.

1 comment:

wrestling kitties said...

Oh I hope this isn't true! I love swifter products! Of course I love my pets more but still, this isn't good. I hate when these emails come out and scare you because you don't know if they are real or not - but thank you for passing it on. It is good to know!