11.20.2006

An awakening

My bro came “out” when I was a junior in college. I remember saying to him, “Awesome. It’s about time.”

Before that phone call, there was almost a sort of wall between us. Like no matter how hard I tried to understand him – my own brother – I couldn’t really get to know him.

Since then, I’ve never felt closer – even though he lives across the country in a different time zone.

I love my brother so much and respect him for being brave enough to be himself. I also thank him for all he’s taught me – whether he realizes it or not.

This weekend was J and J’s wedding. (Absolutely beautiful!) Afterward, a few of my friends and I went out on the town and managed to hit a “gay” bar.

So. Much. Fun.

We laughed, drank, danced and were merry until the wee hours.

When we left, I had an awakening.

I’ve always thought of myself as a very accepting person, but, for the first time in my life, I didn’t even think about it. I didn’t think about how there were guys flirting with guys. Only that they were people. And, they seemed to be really happy.

I woke up the next day feeling really great (with the exception of my enormous headache and upset stomach…).

Thank you, C, for helping me get to this point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unconditional love.

That is what it's all about.

Awesome.